How Do You Evaluate Child Care?

Preschool

You may find some preschools and daycare programs that offer academic learning, the kids really benefit from the socialization aspects of child care. You should select a child care program that you feel comfortable with and one that will nurture your child.

Since our children absorb more information during their first years than at any other time, a child care program that helps encourage new interactions gives them a tremendous head start. Do not be afraid to ask your friends and colleagues for referrals when you are looking for the right child care program for your child.

Alternatively, you can research the various child care facilities in your area to understand the strengths and weaknesses of each one. Nearly 80 percent of kids have spent time in a preschool before age 4, so you will surely find a wide range of recommendations and comments from other parents.

Use this research to learn about the facilities and different daily interactions. You may even find that some child care programs may involve an elder care component or a language immersion component that interests you. Do not be afraid to look at all of your possibilities at this point.

Once you have narrowed down your list of potential child care facilities, you can begin to visit the center daycares. This will give you the ability to talk with teachers and to see them interact with their classes. Just touring the facility can provide some insight into there different amenitites. For example, what does the drop off and pick up routine look like? Are there outdoor play areas? How are the children grouped?

Finally, do not be afraid to talk to the parents. You can quiz them on the reasons they selected the child care versus another one. It could be that they picked up on the teachers attitudes or their ability to bond with the children. They may have liked the cleanliness and schedule of their current child care. No two parent will have the same exact reasons, but it will help you paint the larger picture of what makes each child care center an appropriate fit for each family. Research more here: www.abcacademyjackson.com

Comments

Todd Pierce 25-09-2013, 08:33

We love, love, love our current caregivers. They have that special knack for interacting with the kids. I would say that the actual visit and observation is the most critical deciding factor for us.

Thomas Wright 21-02-2014, 21:11

I second the importance of the visit. You can tell when someone instantly warms up to the kids and what that does for each child. Good luck!

Julia Ellis 24-03-2014, 14:03